PHILIP BROWNELL is a clinical psychologist, certified gestalt therapist (European Association for Gestalt Therapy), and professional coach (certified at Duquesne University’s ICF accredited training program). He is an author and editor, having written and/or edited over six books, contributed numerous chapters to multiple other books and contributed articles to peer reviewed journals. He has conducted training workshops and seminars globally in Europe, South American, Australia, Asia, Canada and the USA. He is a leading influence in the world of gestalt focused research, for which he founded and supports The Research Conference, a biennial gathering of gestalt practitioner researchers. Having lived and practiced in Bermuda for eleven years, he has begun a new practice of psychology in an integrated healthcare organization (A Patient Focused Health Home) in Twin Falls, Idaho.
–Books & Chapters
Currently in review stages of proposal:
* Brownell, P., English, S., & Sabatine, J. The professional coach’s desk reference (in review at Springer Publishing)
Currently under contract:
* Brownell, P. Gestalt psychotherapy and coaching for relationships (Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group)
Currently published or in press:
* Roubal, J., Brownell, P., Francesetti, G., Melnick, J., & Zelskov-Djoric, J. (Eds.) (in press)Towards a research tradition in gestalt therapy. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
* Brownell, P. (2016) Contemporary gestalt therapy. In D. Cain, K. Keenan, & S. Rubin (Eds.) Humanistic psychotherapies: Handbook of research and practice, 2nd edition, pp. 219-250. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association.
* Brownell, P. (2016) Touch of another kind: Contact with God and spiritual self. In J-M Robine (Ed.) Self: A polyphony of contemporary gestalt therapists. Bordeaux, France:L’exprimerie.
* Brownell, P. (2016) Contemporary gestalt therapy: An early case of theoretical integration come of age. In H.E.A. Tinsley, S. H. Lease, & N.S.G. Wiersma (Eds..) Contemporary Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy, pp. 407-433. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
* Mistler, B. & Brownell, P (Eds.) (2015) Global perspectives on research, theory, and practice: A decade of Gestalt!. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
* Brownell, P. (2015) Spiritual Competency in Psychotherapy. New York, NY: Springer Publishing
* Brownell, P. (2014) Gestalt therapy. In R. Cautin & S. Lilienfeld, (Eds.) The Encyclopedia of Clinical Psychology (a five-volume set). np. New York, NY: Wiley & Sons.
* Brownell, P. (2014) Logotherapy. In R. Cautin & S. Lilienfeld, (Eds.) The Encyclopedia of Clinical Psychology (a five-volume set). np. New York, NY: Wiley & Sons.
..* Brownell, P. (2014) Practice-Based Evidence (first published 2008, Handbook for Theory, Research and Practice in Gestalt Therapy). In B. O’Neill & D. Bloom (Eds.) The New York Institute for Gestalt Therapy In The 21st Century. Wollongong, Australia: Ravenwood Publishing.