520 8th Ave
Presenter: Peter Cole
Date: Sunday, April, 28th 2019
Time: 4:00 – 7:00pm
Place: The Northstar Fund
520 8th Ave, Suite 1800
New York, NY
Peter Cole will present methodological and theoretical contributions he has been developing in his practice of gestalt therapy in an interactive group format. There will be lecture, demonstration work, and time for all attendees to discuss and process our experience together. Topics will include:
- Relational Development in gestalt group therapy
- The Self Activating Dimension & the Intimately Connected Dimensions of Relational Development
- Working with Rupture and Repair in the gestalt group
- Working with the “Affective Current” and “Affective Processing” in gestalt group therapy.
- Embracing diversity and “all the voices of the field”
- “The Shadow of the Leader” a model of working with “shadow” or “background” aspects gestalt group leadership that can be difficult to bring into dialogue and awareness.
- Working with the group-as-a-whole and various group roles (Emotional Leader, Scapegoat Leader and Defiant Leader) in gestalt groups
Peter Cole, LCSW is a long-time Gestalt Therapy trainer in Berkeley California. Along with his wife Daisy Reese, he leads the Sierra Institute for Contemporary Gestalt Therapy. He is a certified gestalt therapist with the Pacific Gestalt Institute and a certified group therapist with American Group Psychotherapy Assoc. He serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry with the University of California Davis School of Medicine. He serves on the Editorial Board of Gestalt Review, and is Guest Editing an upcoming edition of Gestalt Review with a variety of articles on Group Therapy. Appearing in that issue of Gestalt Review will be an article, co-written with NYIGT members Bud Feder, Jack Aylward and Charlie Bowman titled “Four Reflections on a Gestalt Peer Consultation Group”, which may well be the last work Bud Feder wrote for publication. Peter has served on the board of AAGT in various roles including treasurer over the years.
Peter is the author, with his wife, Daisy Reese of New Directions in Gestalt Group Therapy: Relational Ground, Authentic Self, (NY: Routledge, 2018).