My name is Mike Cotayo, and I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who received a Master’s in Social Work from New York University in 2000. A majority of my post-master’s career has been spent working within the HIV/AIDS community as a social worker, advocate, community organizer, counselor and administrator. I also specialize in working with trauma, and have found a niche in assisting those with emotional regulation issues and Borderline Personality Disorder. Beginning in 2009, I have conducted workshops on Borderline Personality Disorder, as well as using humor as a tool in the therapeutic setting.
As a trained Gestalt therapist I hold the belief that we are all greater than the sum of our parts, and in order to heal these parts we must work with our body, mind, and soul to obtain the answers that will help facilitate change. Psychotherapy is an individualized service plan that will help a person become more aware of their actions, and how it affects the way they may interact with the world. During our first few sessions, we will be working collaboratively to develop a treatment plan that best suits your needs. We will work on the issues that you bring to the table, and together we will carve out a road map that will help lead you to a more authentic self.
Through my work with this community, I have perfected my skills as a counselor and group facilitator, providing treatment to clients who have varying degrees of need, and who are in varying degrees of distress. Although I have serviced individuals, couples and families with depression, anxiety, and varying degrees of adjustment disorders, I have a number of specialties that I am proficient in.
My specialties include:
- Crisis Intervention Counseling
- Working with those Affected and Infected By HIV/AIDS
- Group Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender/Queer Population
- Substance Abuse
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Mentally Ill Chemically Addicted Clients
- Grief and Bereavement Counseling
- Disabled Population
- Gestalt Psychotherapy
Post Graduate Trainings:
- Couples Therapy Trained by Dr. Marla Silverman
- Trauma Focused Play Therapy Trained by Dr. Gilbert Foley
- Certificate in Gestalt therapy: Trained at The Gestalt Center for Psychotherapy and Training
- Certificate in Non-Profit Management, Purchase College
- NASW Certificate in Working With Children
- School Violence Prevention and Education Certificate
- Identification and Reporting of Suspected Child Abuse and Maltreatment Certificate